Do you want to stop your eyes from burning each time you open Snapchat? Here’s easy steps on how to enable Snapchat dark mode on both iOS and Android devices.
Let’s start off by saying dark mode is an awesome feature on smartphones. Mostly because it helps users reduce the glare from devices when you’re looking at a screen all day. The harsh blue light/ bright light from your device can even cause eye strain and make it difficult to fall asleep. It’s also incredibly annoying at night or in the dark with a huge, cool bright smartphone pointed right at your face.
So without further ado, let’s look at how to get dark mode on Snapchat.
How to turn on dark mode on Snapchat
Enabling the official dark mode feature on iPhones is super easy.
- Tap the profile or Bitmoji icon on the top left corner to access your profile page.
- After the page pops up, tap the settings gear icon on the top right corner of the screen to access more options.
- Look for the “My Account” section and find “App appearance.” Tap on it to change the Snapchat theme.
- Inside the “App Appearance” menu, select “Always Dark.”
The app appearance method isn’t the only way you can have dark mode on Snapchat enabled. Alternatively, you can use the match system to sync Snap with the light theme and dark theme of your device. This would be our preferred way to do it, and here’s how.
- Open Snapchat and click on your profile avatar.
- Select settings and scroll to “My Account”>>”App appearance.”
- Select “Match system.” Once selected, Snapchat will now match your theme to suit the theme of your iOS. Your phone’s light or dark theme would now control the look of your Snapchat.
Automate the theme on iPhone
You can automate dark mode on Snapchat for your iPhone. This way, you do not always have to manually turn on Snapchat’s dark mode each time it is needed. Your phone will automatically switch between light and dark themes depending on the time of the day, and your app will follow suit. Ensure the match system is turned on inside Snapchat before starting this process.
- Open the Settings App on your iPhone, scroll down to the “Display and Brightness” menu and click on it.
- Toggle “Automatic” on and select “Options.”
- Set the times you want to use the iOS light theme and when you want to use the dark theme. You could also set your iPhone theme to alternate between sunrise and sunset. Once set, Snapchat will automatically change modes based on your phone’s theme.
With any of the methods outlined above, you can now use dark mode on Snapchat easily. Choose the best dark mode method you want, and begin enjoying the app in a dark theme.
How to make dark mode in Snapchat for Android
Android users can enable dark mode on the Android app by accessing developer mode. The dark mode feature is only available in the beta version of the app, and they aren’t taking any new sign-ups right now. The option to enable dark mode is not provided by the developer natively.
That means you have to use a manual theme to get dark mode and enjoy this feature. Here are the steps to switch your Snapchat Android app from a light theme to a dark theme and how to change Snapchat to dark mode.
- Access your settings menu from either your notification bar or app tray.
- After clicking on Settings, scroll down to “About Phone.”
- Select “Software information.” Scroll to the bottom and look for the “Build number.” Tap on the build number five or six times to enable developer mode on your Android.
- Go back to the main Settings menu of your android device and search for developer options. Toggle the developer options switch on to access its contents.
- Scroll to the “Hardware accelerating rendering” option and Toggle “Override force-dark” on. The Override force-dark would force a dark theme across all apps, including those without the dark theme support.
If you have the latest version of Snapchat installed, this process may not work. You may need to re-install an older version of the App to force dark mode. This involves downloading the App from third-party websites outside the Google Play Store.
Alternatively, you could decide to use third-party apps to enforce dark mode on Android. You should note that not all Android devices support the use of these apps. Furthermore, the steps to get dark mode on Snapchat may not be available through these apps, depending on the version of Snapchat you are using.
Benefits of using dark mode in Snapchat
It saves your phone’s battery and prevents it from running out faster. Darker themes require less light to display, which makes it less battery-consuming. This feature is even more pronounced on OLED screens. Switching from a light theme to a dark theme could save you a few hours of battery life.
Dark mode is great if you want to use apps in public spaces. Mainly because it’s less distracting. A bright phone screen in a cinema is borderline impolite.
Using Snapchat in dark mode allows you to use the App around other people without visually distracting them. Whether you’re in bed with a family member or out with friends, you can use Snapchat without any hassle.
The dark mode option can be accessed directly inside the Snapchat app. And iOS users can easily switch between light and dark modes without hassle because it’s built into the phone’s OS itself.
If you use the latest version of Snapchat on your Android, forced dark mode will not work. You need to uninstall the latest version from your device and install an older version for it to work.
You can find older versions of Android Apps on third-party websites. However, you should not download apps from websites you do not trust to prevent malware and viruses from infecting your device.
Dark mode is not available for Snapchat Android users. If you use an Android device, you will have to use the workarounds we have provided above to enable Snapchat dark mode.
For iOS users, ensure that your App has been updated to the latest version. Older apps do not have the dark mode option. If you have the latest App installed, follow our steps above to activate dark mode in your Snapchat settings.
There is no official release date for Dark mode on the Snapchat Android app. The Dark mode feature is currently in the beta version phase, and only a few select people have access to it.
For more information on dark mode for Android, follow the official social media pages and check the Snapchat website.
Yes, there is dark mode for Snapchat. Currently, there is a released dark mode for Snapchat on both iOS and Android (Beta).
The dark mode on iOS can be accessed by visiting the setting menu in your Snapchat app. You can also set your Snapchat app to sync with your iOS dark mode automatically.
On the other hand, only approved Beta testers are allowed to use the dark mode officially. Other Android phone users can access the dark mode by forcing it using developer options.
Depending on your device, you can update your App by visiting the App Store or Play store. For iOS users, you can get the latest Snapchat from the App Store, while Android users can download the latest version from the Play Store.
Yes, Snapchat dark mode helps to save battery power. It’s no secret that the Snapchat app is battery draining, but you can reduce this using dark mode. You should feel a massive difference once this is done.